About the new gradle plugin environment:
- Developed by Google
- Has replaced the ADT.
- Extends the java gradle plugin.
- Libraries now officially stored in .aar's (c.f. java .jar's)
- These can be stored in maven repositories.
Synchronises with IDE builds (now with android studio, not eclipse).
Videos and resources:
Gradle Plugin - ADT Differences
Configuration info from project.properties -> gradle.
- No more custom android project update calls needed.
- Need gradle 1.6+ for the android gradle plugin (ubuntu system gradle not sufficient).
All folders by default now under src/main, e.g. src/main/java, src/main/resources.
AndroidManifest.xml also under src/main.
Point gradle at your android sdk via the ANDROID_HOME variable
Merging manifests is a bit more strict (particularly how android_core was specifying a NodeMainExecutor service in library and app - the app specification was lax).
Libraries need a dummy <application/> tag in them until a bug gets fixed (android gradle plugin version 0.5)