We had a meeting at ROSCon, and will up the notes up here soon. In the meantime, if you're interested, sign up for the SIG here:
Bill Smart (<firstname.lastname@example.org>)
Sam Park (<sampark AT yujinrobot DOT com>)
Daniel Stonier (<stonier AT yujinrobot DOT com>)
Younghun Ju (<yhju83 AT gmail DOT com>)
Joe Tojek (<joet99 AT gmail DOT com>)
Piyush Khandelwal (<piyushk AT cs DOT utexas DOT edu>)
Jonathan Bohren (<jbo AT jhu DOT edu>)
Ganesh P Kumar (<gpkumar AT asu DOT edu>)
Matt Zucker (<mzucker1 AT swarthmore DOT edu>)
Dustin Webb (<dustin DOT j DOT webb AT utah DOT edu>)
Paul van der Vorst (<pvandervorst AT clearpathrobotics DOT com>)
Mac Mason <email@example.com>
Zach Dodds <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Bill Morris <email@example.com>
- Stéphane Magnenat
David Byrne (<dkbyrne AT gmail DOT com>)
Nikolaus Demmel (<demmeln AT in DOT tum DOT de>)
Carlos Agüero (<firstname.lastname@example.org>)
SIG Coordinator: Bill Smart (<email@example.com>)
- Please see the groups for open discussions around our main objectives.
Proposed new features
- Make ROS installation easier for faculty, students and users in computer lab settings.
- Address challenges with technical prerequisites (Linux / dev environment).
- Put a full Ubuntu distribution with ROS installed onto a USB drive (or bootable DVD?) for each student who is unfamiliar with Linux or who would have trouble installing Linux. This should also give a common environment for helping students with assignments.
- Enhance introductory tutorial content intended for new / educational users.
Primary feature freeze (2012-08-15)
Final feature freeze (2012-09-15)
Release date (2012-10-15)
- Bug fixes not affecting APIs