Proposer: Blaise Gassend
Present at review:
- List reviewers
I would like to add a standard service call for setting the CameraInfo stored in a camera. This service would be advertized in the same namespace as the camera's output. Having this service would allow a calibration node to compute the CameraInfo, and directly submit it to any conforming camera.
I propose to add a SetCameraInfo service to the sensor_msgs package. The proposed .srv is:
# This service requests that a camera stores the given CameraInfo # as that camera's calibration information. sensor_msgs/CameraInfo camera_info # The camera_info to store --- bool success # True if the call succeeded string status_message # Used to give details about success
Question / concerns / comments
Enter your thoughts on the API and any questions / concerns you have here. Please sign your name. Anything you want to address in the API review should be marked down here before the start of the meeting.
- How to deal with cameras that support multiple resolutions/orientations/binnings?
- Is the thought for this service to change the actual eeprom of the camera, or will the settings be lost when the camera node is restarted?
- Blaise: This would change the EEPROM.
To be filled out by proposer based on comments gathered during API review period
- This service call looks good as it is.
Things we may want to add to CameraInfo at some point:
- Binning in ROI
- Mode string to identify what geometric mode the camera is in.
- Mode string for exposure, brightness, etc...
- Not flipping because it would cause too much confusion.
- Cameras might want to support flipping and binning internally.
- The width and height in the camera info have to match the width and height in the camera_info topic, and the camera will assume that the same width by height pixels are being referred to in both cases.