Test the robot upstart service
- SSH in:
The default user password is Welcome00
- Stop the service:
- Start the service:
- To make sure everything starts fine you can enter the following
- You can repeatedly enter this to view the latest status.
- You should hear 2 beeps when the configuration server is initialized and 2 more when the platform is ready to accept commands.
- The launch is time staged so it takes ~15 seconds to complete
- Close the SSH connection:
- Close all the terminals and open a fresh one
- Start robot visualization:
cd ~/segway_remote_ws sws roslaunch segway_viz view_robot.launch
- You should see your robot model come up and be able to see all the different sensors
Source Your Workspace
It is important to note that any time you open a new terminal, before running anything in ROS, you must browse to the appropriate workspace and source it. We have set up the alias "sws" for this purpose.
- Open another terminal
sws rosrun rqt_reconfigure rqt_reconfigure
- Expand Segway and mouse over the options to get a description
- Make sure you understand what parameters do before changing them
- Changes made here will not persist between power-up cycles. To make a change permenant you'll need to modify this file (or the one for your platform):
- Note - The following parameters have to be changed in the above file because they require a power cycle to take effect. Changing them in the re-configuration gui will not affect performance:
- tire_rolling_diameter_m, wheel_base_length_m, wheel_track_width_m,wheel_track_width_m
Get familiar with RQT http://wiki.ros.org/rqt
- Open a new terminal
- If you are not familiar with RQT just click in the menu and select a few useful ones
- Experiment, play around with it etc.
First make sure the switch in the top/back of your Logitech F710 or F310 controller is set to X, not D. Connect the controller to the remote computer. Install this lightweight joystick tester and run it.
sudo apt-get install jstest-gtk jstest-gtk
You should get a pop-up window with your joystick information. Go ahead and double click on the correct one to open a window that gives feedback for all buttons and axes. Move the joysticks and press the buttons and verify that it works. Write down the /dev/input/jsX number.
Drive the system around
Making sure that js0 is replaced the the appropriate number as noted previously, enter:
sws roslaunch segway_remote_teleop segway_remote_teleop.launch dev:=/dev/input/js0
- Press the 'B' button to enter tractor mode the platform will beep to confirm
- Hold the deadman switch (left trigger)
- You should now be able to drive the platform around.
- See the control mapping in the configuration files